I’m currently sitting at my desk eating a mug-full of Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream with Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips. I tried to ignore my after-dinner sweet tooth, but I couldn’t quiet my mind from screaming for ice cream; alas, I made an emergency trip to the nearest store to settle my craving.
Picture me in the ice cream isle for a solid five minutes. Ice cream flavors are a big decision obviously. I skimmed over the Skinny Cow and other wannabes and went straight to the real stuff. It was a battle between B & J and H.Dazs. After writing an entire speech about Ben and Jerry’s, I can’t help but want to support an environmentally-friendly company. However, comparing the rather long ingredient list of a tub of B & J’s ice cream to the single syllables on its rival created competition. I chose the less-ethical Haagen Dazs over the happy cows tonight =/
What is more important to you: simple ingredients or supporting a company that treats their employees tremendously and does all it can to take care of the environment?
Five ingredients, or twenty… ice cream makes any day better : )
* * *
Before I indulged, I licked my dinner plate clean of tofu and vegetables. I didn’t have any of my go-to teriyaki sauce to use for my stir-fry, so that meant I was making my own marinade.
Simply Soy, Sesame & Almond Butter Tofu
toasted sesame oil
I used my chef’s eye as my measuring device tonight, so I apologize for the vague recipe: Mix ingredients together in a small bowl until the almond butter is incorporated. Chop a cube of firm, organic tofu into bite-sized squares and place into a lightly oiled baking pan. Pour marinade over tofu chunks and bake @ 350* for 30-40 minutes.
In the meantime, cook a pot of brown jasmine rice and stir-fry organic broccoli and carrots in a sizzling wok. When the tofu is golden brown, the rice toasty, and the veggies tender yet crisp, pile into a bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Then eat up!
* * *
I said I had a lot to fill you in on, didn’t I? Alright, one thing at a time:
1. I am not moving [sigh of relief!]. It turned out that my roommate and I have decided to stay in our current apartment and fill the third bedroom. Phew…one less stress/expense to
cross of my list.
2. I am officially an intern at College Lifestyles! I will be writing weekly posts all summer long about nutrition and healthy living. I promise to keep you updated with my new endeavor, but the next couple of weeks are for getting organized as I finish up the semester.
3. My dang cold [?] from last Sunday is still lingering on, but I couldn’t go any longer without physical exercise and my eye-candy at the gym. Here are my workouts from yesterday and today for your thrilling entertainment:
- indoor track run [1.5 mi.]
- 30-minutes spin [10.5 mi.]
- 15-minute treadmill walk @ 4.0 [5 minutes each @ incline 6.0, 8.0, 10.0]
- indoor track run [0.5 mi]
- 30-minute treadmill run
4 min. @ 6.2 — 2.0 incline
6 min. @ 6.6
10 min. @ 4.2 — 6.0 incline
4 min. @ 6.6
6 min. @ 6.2 — 2.0 incline
- 10-minutes recumbant bike
Hope ya’ll are having a great start to your week. I’m loving that tomorrow’s already Waffle Wednesday… but wait, I’m still without waffles – shucks!