quick {cinnamon} quinoa ‘cakes.

Good morning! & happy Friday :)

Boy, am I excited to share this recipe with you! My tummy is so so happy at the moment, digesting the delicious and highly-nutritious breakfast I just fed it. I am fueled up for some Friday fun!

Ever since I discovered my love for the psuedograin quinoa, I can’t get enough of it. It’s ideal for my vegetarian college diet as it’s super quick to prepare and loaded with protein. I eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner weekly. Last night I made a pot [2 c. water + 1 c. quinoa] and had plenty of leftovers.

Then I started dreaming of pancakes. See where this is going!?

010

Quinoa ‘Cakes

recipe inspiration a la FitSugar.

• 1 c. cooked quinoa

• 3/4 c. whole wheat flour

• 2 tsp. baking powder

• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

• 1/2 tsp. course salt

• 1 large egg + plus 1 large egg white

• 1T canola oil

• 1/2 tsp. vanilla

• 1/4 c. + 2T  unsweetened vanilla almond milk

• 2T pure maple syrup, plus more for serving

In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, cinnamon + salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, oil, vanilla, milk, and syrup until smooth. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.

Lightly coat a skillet or griddle with chlorofluorocarbon-free canola oil spray and heat over medium-high. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat (reduce heat to medium if overbrowning). Serve ‘em up with your heart’s desire: maple syrup, banana, chia and walnuts!

001

005

Oh, my! BEST pancakes to date (despite their burnt appearance). These are incredible: fluffy, slightly crunchy, mildly sweet – yum! The cinnamon and vanilla were excellent additions to the original recipe.

Nutrition Note:

Research has linked cinnamon with helping lower blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels in people with type 2 diabetes, and a recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that adding the spice to rice pudding even helped tame blood sugar in people without diabetes. Cinnamon also contains polyphenols, antioxidants that create healthier arteries and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. In addition, cinnamon benefits include an energizing scent that has also been found to help increase alertness.

Source: Women’s Health, Cinnamon’s Health Benefits

I was thrilled when I came across this article the other day. Oddly enough, I’ve been adding cinnamon to everything lately (i.e. I’m drinking a glass of cinnamon-spiked iced coffee as I type)!

Now go cook up a pot of quinoa, so you can flip a few of these flapjacks tomorrow morning… and, if you haven’t already done so, enter my oatmeal on the run GIVEAWAY.

Have a tasty day! :)

Hill

Get the Nutrition Nut Newsletter delivered to your email inbox.

Comments

1. says

that looks so good! i never would have thought to add quinoa to pancakes…i always make way too much of it too so this is perfect!

2. says

This looks like a fabulous recipe! I love pancakes, but I have never tried putting cooked quinoa in the batter. How many pancakes does the recipe make?

• Hillary says

It’s hard to say — I enjoyed 6 very small cakes today and have batter leftover. It could probably feed 2-3 people ‘comfortably’.

3. says

yum! those look so good! i have a costco sized bag of quinoa in my kitchen and definitely use it on a weekly basis! never for breakfast though! i’ll have to try this!

4. says

I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone else who eats as much quinoa as I do. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who eats it all day every day at every single meal :) I have been craving pancakes so badly, now that it’s spring break I can eat all of the pannycakes I want! :)

• Hillary says

Girlie, you’ve got some competition. I’ve eaten almost an entire pot [2 c. water + 1 c. quinoa] in <24hrs!

5. Carol says

You’ll have to let me know what your secret is for baking with quinoa. Perhaps it is an acquired taste, but I have tried a few recipes with it and I am just not impressed. I ended up throwing away everything that I made because it was just gross. I have tried quinoa instead of rice and can tolerate it, but really can’t stand baking with it.

6. Donna says

You are not the only one promoting quinoa. I have been watching a lot of the food channel lately, and MANY of the shows are featuring the seed. Guida (sp?) had a quinoa-crusted lamb chop, and a couple days later an incredible pesto-ey quinoa dish. Then strolling through Costco today, I see that they are selling it in the BIG bag. Quinoa has someone doing some great marketing.
    …also noticing a lot of lemon and lemon zest being used.

7. says

I pinned this awhile ago, and was craving pancakes tonight. I went through all of my Pinterest options, and ended up making these. They were FANTASTIC! Thank you for a great and healthy meal that my entire family loved. We had them for dinner with bananas and syrup along with spinach and berries smoothies. Yum!