quick {cinnamon} quinoa ‘cakes.

by Hillary on April 15, 2011

Good morning! & happy Friday :)

Boy, am I excited to share this recipe with you! My tummy is so so happy at the moment, digesting the delicious and highly-nutritious breakfast I just fed it. I am fueled up for some Friday fun!

Ever since I discovered my love for the psuedograin quinoa, I can’t get enough of it. It’s ideal for my vegetarian college diet as it’s super quick to prepare and loaded with protein. I eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner weekly. Last night I made a pot [2 c. water + 1 c. quinoa] and had plenty of leftovers.

Then I started dreaming of pancakes. See where this is going!?

010

Quinoa ‘Cakes

recipe inspiration a la FitSugar.

• 1 c. cooked quinoa

• 3/4 c. whole wheat flour

• 2 tsp. baking powder

• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

• 1/2 tsp. course salt

• 1 large egg + plus 1 large egg white

• 1T canola oil

• 1/2 tsp. vanilla

• 1/4 c. + 2T  unsweetened vanilla almond milk

• 2T pure maple syrup, plus more for serving

In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, cinnamon + salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, oil, vanilla, milk, and syrup until smooth. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.

Lightly coat a skillet or griddle with chlorofluorocarbon-free canola oil spray and heat over medium-high. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat (reduce heat to medium if overbrowning). Serve ‘em up with your heart’s desire: maple syrup, banana, chia and walnuts!

001

005

Oh, my! BEST pancakes to date (despite their burnt appearance). These are incredible: fluffy, slightly crunchy, mildly sweet – yum! The cinnamon and vanilla were excellent additions to the original recipe.

Nutrition Note:

Research has linked cinnamon with helping lower blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels in people with type 2 diabetes, and a recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that adding the spice to rice pudding even helped tame blood sugar in people without diabetes. Cinnamon also contains polyphenols, antioxidants that create healthier arteries and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. In addition, cinnamon benefits include an energizing scent that has also been found to help increase alertness.

Source: Women’s Health, Cinnamon’s Health Benefits

I was thrilled when I came across this article the other day. Oddly enough, I’ve been adding cinnamon to everything lately (i.e. I’m drinking a glass of cinnamon-spiked iced coffee as I type)!

Now go cook up a pot of quinoa, so you can flip a few of these flapjacks tomorrow morning… and, if you haven’t already done so, enter my oatmeal on the run GIVEAWAY.

Have a tasty day! :)

Hill

EmailFacebookPinterestTwitter

katie April 15, 2011 at 10:31 am

you have me dreaming of pancakes now! YUMMM!

amy April 15, 2011 at 10:50 am

that looks so good! i never would have thought to add quinoa to pancakes…i always make way too much of it too so this is perfect!

Jessy April 15, 2011 at 11:24 am

This looks like a fabulous recipe! I love pancakes, but I have never tried putting cooked quinoa in the batter. How many pancakes does the recipe make?

Hillary April 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm

It’s hard to say — I enjoyed 6 very small cakes today and have batter leftover. It could probably feed 2-3 people ‘comfortably’.

Jessy April 15, 2011 at 9:53 pm

OK, thanks! I have to make this ASAP.

PS: I’m not sure if it’s just me, but the font on your blog is a bit hard to read.

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 15, 2011 at 11:35 am

I love me some quinoa! I’ve never tried it in pancake form though. Adding this to my list! :)

Katy April 15, 2011 at 12:22 pm

yum! those look so good! i have a costco sized bag of quinoa in my kitchen and definitely use it on a weekly basis! never for breakfast though! i’ll have to try this!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn April 15, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone else who eats as much quinoa as I do. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who eats it all day every day at every single meal :) I have been craving pancakes so badly, now that it’s spring break I can eat all of the pannycakes I want! :)

Hillary April 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Girlie, you’ve got some competition. I’ve eaten almost an entire pot [2 c. water + 1 c. quinoa] in <24hrs!

Alaina April 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I was looking for pancakes to make this weekend! These look to be a contender. :-)

megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 15, 2011 at 8:52 pm

These pancakes are gorgeous!! I love cinnamon too :)

Sarah April 16, 2011 at 6:33 pm

mmm these sound GREAT! I have TONS of quinoa and am always looking for new ways to cook with it!

Carol April 18, 2011 at 11:19 am

You’ll have to let me know what your secret is for baking with quinoa. Perhaps it is an acquired taste, but I have tried a few recipes with it and I am just not impressed. I ended up throwing away everything that I made because it was just gross. I have tried quinoa instead of rice and can tolerate it, but really can’t stand baking with it.

Donna April 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm

You are not the only one promoting quinoa. I have been watching a lot of the food channel lately, and MANY of the shows are featuring the seed. Guida (sp?) had a quinoa-crusted lamb chop, and a couple days later an incredible pesto-ey quinoa dish. Then strolling through Costco today, I see that they are selling it in the BIG bag. Quinoa has someone doing some great marketing.
…also noticing a lot of lemon and lemon zest being used.

Caitlyn (The Spoonful of Life) April 23, 2011 at 7:42 am

Those look great! I having been looking for a pancake recipe to try and this is the one! Thanks =)

Alter Eco Pacific April 24, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Hey! We just posted your recipe on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/AlterEcoPacific/192751160760287) – your pancakes look fantastic :)

Lee March 30, 2012 at 11:48 am

OMG these look so good! Not to mention I am pretty much obsessed with anything quinoa. PINNING.

Hillary March 31, 2012 at 9:34 am

They are my favorite pancakes!

Laura Jo January 25, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I pinned this awhile ago, and was craving pancakes tonight. I went through all of my Pinterest options, and ended up making these. They were FANTASTIC! Thank you for a great and healthy meal that my entire family loved. We had them for dinner with bananas and syrup along with spinach and berries smoothies. Yum!

Hillary January 25, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Love breakfast for dinner – glad you enjoyed the recipe!