quinoa granola.

by Hillary on August 29, 2011

There are a few things that I never tire from making: 1) muffins, 2) granola, 3) pesto, and 4) cookies. Perhaps it’s because I’ve made them so so many times, and of many varietal, that I’m pretty confident in my baking capabilities when it comes to these things, and I’m usually left with a satisfying product.

Wednesday, when I took a much-needed rest day from my normal everyday energetic productiveness, I made a batch of quinoa granola. You can do anything with quinoa, I swear. My mom asked if the quinoa was “puffed” (a.k.a. cooked, LOL). Nope… what I’m calling quinoa granola is simply a basic oat-based granola with the addition of raw quinoa. Not only does it add a lovely textural component, but it amps up the nutritional profile in terms of protein – always a plus!

Quinoa Granola

• 3 c. rolled oats

• 1/2 c. quinoa, uncooked

• 1/2 c. sunflower seeds

• 1/2 T cinnamon

• pinch of salt

• 6 T canola oil

• 1/4 c. brown rice syrup

• 1/4 c. pure maple syrup

• 1/2 T vanilla

• 1/2 c. dried cherries (I prefer sweetened)

• 1/2 c. pistachios

In a mixing bowl, combine oats, quinoa, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, and salt. In a smaller bowl, combine oil, syrups, and vanilla. Warm on the stovetop or in the microwave until liquids are “blendable”. Pour over oat mixture, stirring thoroughly. Bake granola in a glass baking dish @ 325-350F for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Allow the granola to cool completely on paper towels before storing in an airtight container.

Notes:
  • This is probably one of the smallest batches of granola I’ve made, but you can easily multiply the ingredient amounts.
  • I used cherries and pistachios (thinking ahead about homemade holiday gifts), and because I adore the flavor combination; though, other dried fruit and nut combinations – say slivered almonds and dried apricots – would make an equally scrumptious cereal.
Inspirations for this recipe include:

Hope your week is off to a happy, healthy start :)

See ya around,

Hillary

What’s the craziest thing you’ve done with quinoa?

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Oh wow, I never realized you could eat quinoa without cooking it. I guess I assumed the crunch would hurt my teeth! I love the cherry + pistachio combo, very holiday-ish!

Courtney August 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm

This looks great, I am going to have to make it very soon!!

Trisha August 29, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I’m with ya! I could bake muffins, granola bars and granola every.single.day. And some weeks I do. Good luck this school year! Mine just started today :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Cool! I really want to try this, I am not creative with quinoa at all! I never get tired of making muffins and cookies :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Quinoa is such a great granola addition! Sounds delicious + nice and crunchy :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I’d say that’s pretty productive of you! It looks delicious!

The craziest thing I’ve done with quinoa is make cookies. Both with flakes and cooked quinoa. They both worked well, but flakes are much better for that sorta thing.

Maren (Marne's Morsels) August 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I like how the quinoa makes the granola look so pretty.

Lauren August 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I have been wanting to try quinoa in granola. I just need to get around to making it.

sMILES from Callie August 29, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I’ve never tried quinoa! I really need to! Maybe this recipe will be the first :)

Elina (Healthy and Sane) August 30, 2011 at 9:52 am

I think it wouldn’t be a very typical quinoa “experience” although I am certain delicious nonetheless. Try it as a side sometimes – it is pretty cool how it “puffs up”. :)

Marie @ Chocolate & Wine August 29, 2011 at 6:49 pm

It’s not super crazy, but I make about a cup of quinoa and keep it warm on the stove. While that’s happening, I cut up a big eggplant into chunks, 1/2 of a sweet onion and a red bell pepper and roast them on super high heat in the oven until they are soft and slightly charred, about 40 minutes. Then, I mix the veggies with the quinoa, add a touch of olive oil and it’s become one of my all-time favorite foods. So filling and SO healthy!

xo Marie
Chocolate & Wine

mom August 29, 2011 at 9:13 pm

R U laughing at me??? By ‘puffed’, I meant the stuff you can buy in the cereal section of the market, like ‘puffed corn’, ‘puffed rice’, ‘puffed millet’…
I wonder how digestible the raw quinoa is??? Just a thought. oxo

Hillary August 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm

a little roughage is always good, lol.

Elina (Healthy and Sane) August 30, 2011 at 9:50 am

I think I’d love the extra crunch from quinoa. Definitely saving this recipe!!
PS – I’m hosting a pretty sweet giveaway (today only) so check it out if you’re curious :)

Erica @ A Healthy Habit August 30, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Wow, this sounds like such a great combo! I really like cooking quinoa and adding feta, cranberries and walnuts to it with a drizzle of EVOO.

Hillary August 30, 2011 at 8:03 pm

That sounds tasty!

Alejandra @ Mouthfuls and Morsels August 31, 2011 at 8:33 am

This is fantastic! I too am addicted to making granola, adding quinoa is a brilliant move! Thanks for the inspiration!!