coconut-crusted almond butter {stuffed!} french toast.

by Hillary on September 4, 2011

006

This may not look like much, but according to the title of this post, I hope your mouth is watering.

As I was folding laundry late last night, my stomach began grumbling and so, naturally, I began dreaming up breakfast recipes. It was Sunday, after all, on a holiday weekend, so I wanted something more than the ordinary.

The Fall French Toast Sandwich I created last November popped into my head; though, because I haven’t stocked my cupboard with an ample amount of Vitamin A (a.k.a. canned pumpkin) for the upcoming season, I decided to go with one of my favorite flavor trios instead – almond, apricot, and coconut.

017

018

I purchased a container of coconut milk a few weeks ago (a new TJ’s item) and have been enjoying the nutty milk in smoothies and oatmeal. Coconut milk is quite popular these days amongst the health foodie community; however, I’m still wary of eating a large amount of coconut due to its saturated fat content (5g per 1 cup). Everything in moderation ;)

004

011

Coconut-Crusted Almond Butter {Stuffed!} French Toast

• 2 pc. bread – I used Alvarado Street 50 cal. flax bread.
  • ~1T almond butter
  • ~1/2T organic reduced-sugar apricot jam (a TJ’s staple item)
  • 1/2 ripe banana, sliced
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 T unsweetened coconut
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • pure maple syrup, ~1T

Spread almond butter one slice of bread, apricot jam on the other. Place slice bananas on one side and top with second piece of bread to make a sandwich. In a baking dish of some sort, stir together milks, egg whites, unsweetened coconut and vanilla. Place sandwich in liquid mixture and allow to soak on each side for 2+ minutes.

Cook the sandwich on a lightly-greased griddle over medium heat, approximately 3-5 minutes on each side. Serve immediately with a drizzle of real maple syrup. What’s French toast without syrup!?

Serves 1.

007

This recipe delivered all that I had hoped for and more. Yes, it sure did!

At the beginning of August, I made a few lose goals for the final month of summer, so I thought we’d revisit them before continuing on with this spectacular month of September.

August in Action: Revisited

Find my inner yogi again

I practiced yoga 6x during the month, finishing the month with my 50th yoga class at the WREC on August 31. This isn’t enough yoga for me to feel the benefits, but I’m happy that my fall schedule is able to accommodate much more mat time :)

swim

Coincidently, I also swam 6x in August. I hope I can swim at least that much again this September before the cooler temps arrive. Gotta work on that tan ;)

Register for 1 fall race

I haven’t signed up for Half #6 (yet), but I did register to run the Chico Ten again… which, I might add, is less than two weeks away – eek!! I haven’t been running much at all these days, so it’s time to cram in the trianing.

Chico Ten 2010 Race Recap: Ten [8-mazing] Miles

post recipes

I added three healthy recipes to my recipe page in August – enjoy!

That’s all for now, friends. I hope you’re enjoying the long weekend and that September is off to a splendid start!

Hillary

Did you make any September goals?

Are there any races on your fall calendar?

Anita September 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm

That’s great! I am hoping to run in a 5K some time before midterms, so I’m prepping for that right now!

This week’s grocery shopping may just include the ingredients for that french toast… it looks seriously delicious. :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Stuffed French toast rocks! I never seem to have apricot jam on hand… I should change that. Apricots + almond butter were seriously meant to go together.

Hope your upcoming race is a blast!

Brittany September 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm

That French toast sounds ridiculously good…my hubby will love it!

Has it really been a year since the 2010 Chico 10? I remember reading your recap (a fun one to read); it’s hard to believe it’s been a year! Good luck!

I have a marathon coming up the first week of October and a half the last week of October. That’s basically when the MN racing season ends because not long after that we can be guaranteed snow :( arrrgh.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 5, 2011 at 3:40 am

Definitely one of my goals is to make that!! Wow that looks great girl :)

sarah @ spinach and spice September 5, 2011 at 4:45 am

I knew I would love this post as soon as I saw the title :D
Your breakfast looks (and sounds) amaaaaaazing.
Congrats on the reached goals!

VA DE PAN September 5, 2011 at 5:40 am

That french toast looks delicious!

Erika - The Teenage Taste September 5, 2011 at 6:32 am

Fabulous goals, Hillary! I should definitely start setting monthly goals for myself again. I, too, am trying to incorporate more yoga into my workout routine. It’s such a stree-reliever for me!

Dilek&Alba September 7, 2011 at 12:08 am

That looks delicious! I wonder if I can switch it up a little and make it a savory toast. Does the coconut milk add any sweetness at all?

Hillary September 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm

No, the coconut milk is unsweetened – it’s not sweet to me.

Lele September 7, 2011 at 6:47 am

Apricot and almond really is the BEST. A dried apricot dipped in almond butter is one of my favorite snacks ever. Coconut is a fabulous idea – actually, I think one of my favorite candies ever, a See’s Apricot Delight, has all of those things – plus white chocolate!

Brooke (Tea & Tofu) September 7, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Oh, wow, that French toast looks amazingly good! :-)

Chels September 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I am debating on whether to run a race at the end of October, it would be a 10K. I really want to, but I have had an annoying injury and have not ran outside since early July. Good look on your fall race decisions!!

Katy September 8, 2011 at 5:40 am

That looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! There aren’t any races in my fall calendar, but I’m leaning towards running a half in Santa Cruz in April!

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog September 8, 2011 at 11:04 am

That stuffed french toast looks/sounds great! My goal this month is to make that haha. :D

Allison F. September 9, 2011 at 2:56 am

Sounds great! Topped with a little sprinkling of dried coconut sounds good too :P

Ali September 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Starting the day with some healthy sweetness… Yum… can’t wait to make it!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) September 12, 2011 at 8:19 am

Stuffed french toast is one of my favorite breakfast treats. I haven’t made it in forever. Must change it asap! Love love love your combo! I want to find that organic apricot spread (yum). Also, I just bought some reduced fat coconut at Whole Foods the other day. Perhaps that’s something you want to try if you’re worried about sat fat in coconut. It’s all natural!

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking September 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog and I LOVE it!

This french toast looks so tasty!

And to answer your question, I’m signed up to run my second half-marathon this October!! :)

Hillary September 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Ahh, exciting!! Good luck :)

Caitlin @ Cake with Love September 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm

French toast with coconut milk is delicious!! :)

Gwen September 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Oh the possibilities with stuffed french toast! Love this version, thanks :)

christina September 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm

that sandwich!! seriously!! ahhhhhh, drool.

Alyssa September 16, 2011 at 9:56 am

That stuffed french toast looks delicious! :)