a PDR {in the pouring rain}.

by Hillary on January 22, 2012

Last night when I checked the weather forecast for today, it looked like this:

I lied in bed wide awake as I anxiously tried to figure out a game plan for my longest long run. Once I finally had one, I got some shut eye and woke up to dark skies and a dead watch.

Almost an hour later, waiting for my watch to charge, I was finally out the door.

I ran 4.6 miles (sans iPod) around my neighborhood under foreshadowing rain clouds, though no precipitation.

Home, I changed into DriFit top #2 and headed to the WREC where I completed “Leg 2”.

Almost 11 miles under my feet, I was undoubtedly pink in the face, but my body was holding up fine.

At this point, it was pouring rain, but that wasn’t about to stop me. I layered up again and pushed out 3.8 final miles through downtown.

I pressed the neon button on my watch for the last time as I stopped at the crosswalk waiting for the light to change. My watch affirmed my effort today with: “way to get out there” and then congratulated me on an unexpected milestone.

I felt the corners of my mouth turn into a happy crescent as I walked the final block back to the WREC – wet droplets dripped from my black cap, my side ponytail a ratty mess, and every inch of fabric on my body ringing wet.

A PDR (personal distance record)… on a Sunday morning… in the pouring rain… by myself.

I had planned to run 13 miles today, but because I’m training for half-marathon no. 6 with no plan other than to #makeitcount, I did what SkinnyRunner would do, and just kept running… because I could.

I stopped at Starbucks on my way home for a venti iced coffee with soy milk. It’s only right to drink a large iced beverage when it’s 40F outside, you’re soaked to the bone and have white fingers. I think Miss Tina would agree at least ;)

The best part about my necessary stop for coffee… the cute guy who told me I was hardcore as I stood there shivering. #crazyrunnergirl

Alright, time to eat again… someone make me stretch please!

Do you enjoy running in the rain?

What’s your PDR?

Hillary

EmailFacebookPinterestTwitter

Jane January 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I do like running in the rain, because it makes me feel like a badass ;) I also drink iced coffee year round. And own that t-shirt from Tina’s shop. And occasionally plan my run to end at Dunkin’ Donuts. Problem? ;)

Erica W. January 22, 2012 at 5:11 pm

it depends on the temperature of the rain ;) in Wisco today, the rain froze to the sidewalks bringing my run inside to the treadmill. (the sidewalks were like an ice rink!)

my PDR is 26.35. my last marathon had the wrong route mapped out, so we ran a little too far…

congrats on your great run today!!! tough girl!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 22, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I don’t love to run in the rain, but it wasn’t bad. I usually try to avoid it when I can! I would’ve definitely gotten a coffee too ;D

Lizzy January 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm

HARDCORE yes you are!!!
I love running right after it rains…so fresh and clean. Congrats on your PDR, you will rock the upcoming half…I have a bunch of friends running it, and can’t decide if I want to. I love Davis runs!
I would definitely have ordered an ice coff too! I cannot drink anything hot post-run, even if I am freezing :)
xoxo!

Hillary January 22, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Let me know if you decide to do the race! :)

Sarah January 23, 2012 at 4:38 am

13.5! Reaching 14 would be huge :)

Melissa January 23, 2012 at 5:11 am

I love running in the rain! Usually a ball cap and good water repellant jacket keep me happy and dry. Congrats on the PDR! That’s wonderful!

Caroline January 23, 2012 at 5:50 am

I hate running in the rain!
I can totally relate to being anxious about a long run. When I was marathon training I had such anxiety, not even so much about the distance of the long runs, but all the logistics behind it: when I would fit it in, where I would run, what I would eat before/during, what I would bring with me, etc.
Congrats on a PDR!

Karla @ myhighonlife January 23, 2012 at 6:26 am

Great job!! I wanted to get my long run in so bad yesterday but was super sick, so glad to see one of us could get it in.

It’s always great being the crazy runner girl, isn’t it? ;)

Brittany January 23, 2012 at 8:34 am

Yay! Congrats on the PDR — you are more than prepared for your race!

I’m not a fan of running in the rain, though I don’t mind a little mist or snow, as long as it’s not too cold outside. I ran my first marathon in the snow and two halves in the rain! Little muddy, but not all bad.

My PDR is something like 26.5 miles. Slightly off-topic: Every marathon I’ve run has been at least 26.4 miles, even though I make a solid effort to run the tangents. One race, it made the difference between qualifying for Boston and not qualifying; avg. pace for 26.46 miles was 8:24 (qualifying pace in 2010), while avg. pace for 26.2 (aka the distance I received credit for) was more like 8:30.

Hillary January 23, 2012 at 8:59 am

A marathon in the snow? You’re a champ!

Life's a Bowl January 23, 2012 at 9:32 am

Congrats on the PDR :D I love running in a summertime storm, but during the cold and dreary winter, I need a lot of motivation to get outside!

Emily January 23, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I love running in the rain! I’m training for my first half now, and my “long” run was 5 miles on Saturday. I ran it. Outside. In the pouring rain. By myself. And, not gonna lie, I felt like a total badass. Plus, I ran it at an 8:59 pace, which is very quick for me. Yayyyy perseverance!

Hillary January 23, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Nice job!

Michelle (Better with Berries) January 23, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Congrats on finishing that run!! I’m afraid I would have been scared by the rain. I used to be a toughie when it came to running in rain, but now I’m kind of a baby. My first half marathon was actually ran in a huge storm that had blown up from Hurricane Ike. It was horrendous and amazing all at once :-)

My PDR is 26.2 and not a foot more!

Lesley January 24, 2012 at 2:37 am

I love running in the rain, it is so empowering! Congrats on your run :)