Injured + Enlightened

by Hillary on December 9, 2012

I learned a lesson this week.

When you can’t have something, is when you want/miss it most.

This has more than one meaning to me, but in this context, I’m referring to my most favorite pastime: exercise.

A week ago, I woke up with knee pain and concluded that it was probably due to overtraining

My hypothesis isn’t unlikely, as I’m crazy about continuing with CrossFit on top of training for a 10K.

Luckily, knock on wood (hard!), I’ve been fortunate to dodge any serious injuries during my athletic history.

So, naturally, as a worry wort, I freak out at an unfamiliar pain.

Runner’s Knee, tendonitis, I really don’t know what’s up, but

I know, for sure, I need to scale back on my workouts.

My Week in Fitness

M – Rest Day

T – CrossFit + 3 mi. run

W – 3 mi. walk (45 min.) + abs

Th – CrossFit + 2 min. plank

F – CrossFit (included < 2 mi. running)

Sa – 3 mi. walk (45 min.) + abs

Su – 5.5 mi. run (44:40)

As hard as it was to avoid the box, I restricted myself to just three WODs this week. I believe being anal about icing 2-3x/day helped the most, as the pain has dissipated some.

The Jack Frost 10K race is one week from today, and as much as I’d like to finish my training schedule strong, I will continue to listen to what my body is asking for… even if means an extra day of rest.

During the down time this week, I realized the impact my daily physical activity has on my daily spirits. Exercise isn’t merely a way for me to burn off the calories of four almond flour chocolate chip cookies - in fact, it’s not that at all. Exercise is a huge part of me, and when I can’t “have it”, I not only miss it immensely, but I feel a part of me is missing. I sweat to live and live to sweat.

On a lighter note, I can still talk fitness all I want, so I went to fill out this survey I spotted on Miss Tina’s blog, when I discovered I had already answered it in August: Fitness, my way.

Resting isn’t easy, and patience is something I must practice, but I learned, this week, that sometimes all you can do is let time heal you.

208573026463748358_uMNzgKmI_c.jpg

It may just be one WOD, or one long run, but I will not be taking box jumps and burpees for granted anymore.

Have you ever dealt with a knee injury?

What lesson did you learn this week?

Makenzie @ www.kenzyskitchen.blogspot.com December 9, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Hi Hillary! I am very lucky in the sense that I have never ever been injured. I’ve never had to take a long period of rest from exercise. But after reading your post about overtraining, I have committed myself to taking one day off every week :) It is so hard though!! I totally understand what you mean, exercise being a part of you, it is a highlight of my day and really sets the tone for the whole day.

Maybe there is a reason you are in the state you are, I’m sure good will come from it. Maybe a bigger appreciation for exercise and rest days :) Hope you get better soon!!

Erin Gates December 10, 2012 at 3:08 am

I am dealing w/ a knee injury right now, Chondromalacia. I learned a lesson this week that I went too hard too soon. I have scaled back to only 3 running days and they have all been on the TM, as my knee does not hurt there. I tried to head back to the great outdoors for a run and the rugged terrain left me w/ the same nagging pain that took me to the doctor. I had been doing so well and thought I was ready – I was wrong. Like you, w/o exercising, more specifically running for me, I am kinda miserable and just not me. This week, I promised myself no running for 5 day, lots of yoga and my PT stretches. Good luck w/ your recovery, remember to take it slow. Have you gone to the dr.?

Michelle December 10, 2012 at 4:19 am

A few times during marathon training, I would feel my knee “pop” and I was smart and immediately stopped to ice it. That has been my only issue with my knee that actually scared me to the point of making me stop working out. Sometimes I can “feel” it (it’s not pain so it’s hard to explain), but then I just make sure to ice it and not push my workouts.

Lauren December 10, 2012 at 4:35 am

Feel better girl! I have suffered from Runner’s Knee a few times and it does suck because really the only way to heal is to rest. :( It will get better though. :) Take care!

NYC Fit GIrl December 10, 2012 at 5:23 am

I hope you feel better! Being injured is never fun, but you know your body better than anyone else! Make sure you listen to your body when it is telling you to rest! Your workout plan looks great!

Amy @ Extracurricular Activities December 10, 2012 at 6:08 am

I injured my foot running a few months ago and, at first, I was miserable. But then I started getting into non-impact workouts like cycling and actually learned that I like other forms of cardio besides running and the occasional elliptical. Now running is my least frequent form of cardio, and I have started to love spinning. Sometimes injuries can be all around horrible, but sometimes they can force you to open yourself up to new forms of exercise that you may end up loving and wouldn’t have tried otherwise. Sorry to hear about your knee! Hope it heals as quickly as possible.

christina December 10, 2012 at 7:15 am

I have been injured once and was out for 12 ish weeks. It was the pits! I’m sorry you are hurt and hope you recover quickly!

Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 10, 2012 at 9:53 am

I’ve never had a knee injury, but a hip one that had me out for three months of complete rest to a year of minimal running! I hope you recover super quick!

Claire December 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I’m totally in the same boat! Just started at a box in town and fell in love with CrossFit. On top of wanting to go as much as possible, I’m also training for my first half-marathon. Your week in fitness looks awesome though!

I ran cross-country in high school and had to deal with rhabdomyolysis. Nothing is worse than wanting to run hard and your body just not letting you. Hang in there and try to enjoy those rest days! :)

Sarah @PickyRunner December 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I love that quote. I’ve definitely been guilty of overtraining. Some say I still am. I’ve been lucky enough to avoid most bad injuries, but they are no fun at all. Good luck with the plan… hopefully if you get enough rest you’ll be back to training for both in no time!

Alaina December 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

A few years ago, I overtrained when training for my marathon. To me, more miles = better performance. I ended up with inflammation behind both knees and they were stiff for a good week or so. Since then, thank goodness, I haven’t had the issue.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Becky @ Olives n Wine December 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I have never had a knee injury, thankfully. I did have a hip injury last fall. I was training for a half-marathon and over-trained which caused some major pain in my right hip. I had to take 6 weeks off from any weight-bearing exercise which was killer for me! I was super stressed and it was so hard to get back into it after such a long break. Good luck with your knee! I hope you start to feel 100% again soon.

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles December 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I had a horrible knee injury after my first half marathon…it was horrible. You never really appreciate how much a part of your body does for you until it’s hurt!! But your mantra is right — time does heal — and pretty soon you’ll be back and stronger than ever! And this week, I (re) learned…”Use your contacts!! Don’t try to go at it alone…” :)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats December 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Ohh I’ve had my share of knee injuries. Surgery on both! Not fun. Not fun at all. I wish your knees well!

Karla @ myhighonlife December 10, 2012 at 6:25 pm

So glad that you’re listening to your body! I ran my first marathon in April and just now am starting to get back into it after battling SEVERE plantar fasciitis ever since. And the reward is amazing. As difficult as waiting was… my body and mind are so glad I did now :)

You’ll be back in no time.

Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 11, 2012 at 6:41 am

Oh man, feel better! I’ve never had a knee injury, but I’ve had minor running injuries in pretty much every other part of my legs, so I get how you feel!

Jay December 11, 2012 at 11:25 am

This is your ”taking it easy” workout schedule??

Hillary December 11, 2012 at 11:45 am

It’s scaled back from a typical/ideal week for me, but I realize it’s not a true rest week.

Karen G. December 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I can so relate! Am currently suffering from knee pain following a 20K back in mid October. My first injury ever, coming from overtraining. The only good thing about it is that I have been forced to find some new fitness activities, like water aerobics which is great. I am still really missing the running though, so my heart goes out to you. Be patient!

Amy December 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I am nearing the end of recovery from a stress fracture and I can completely relate to the way you feel. I’ve never missed running more… I’ve had a fracture for two months because I didn’t get the “rest” memo the first time around and thought as long as I didn’t run I was resting (swimming, spinning, pump, stair master etc… didn’t count) But I made things worse. I broke down when the MD put me in a boot. BUT second time around, I listened and I’m feeling a lot better just in time to start training for the Boston Marathon… along w/ some PT help. Hang in there…time heals everything :)

Robyn @thereallife_rd December 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm

In July, I got achilles tendonitis after insisting I do a 10 mile long run in my mom’s nike frees while I was home this summer and had forgotten my running shoes. Probably one of the dumbest things I’ve done and I learned the hard way. No running for 3 weeks, which isn’t long, but when something has become so much a part of you, it is extremely difficult to stop doing it.

Sometimes we learn the hard way, but sometimes that’s the way we are best taught :)

Meaghan - DC Fit Crasher December 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm

This post really hit home for me. I tore my meniscus after running a marathon in 2010 and was off the pavement for well over a year. As someone who also sweats to live and lives to sweat, this was an extremely challenging time. What – no running? But I’m a runner…don’t you get it doc? It was hard not to get down on myself. But – looking back now – it was a year full of exploring all sorts of new ways of getting that “runner’s high” without running. And now I’m a much more well-rounded athlete because of it. So find that silver lining, because it’s there!