Eating healthy is…

by Hillary on February 18, 2013

Working in the worksite wellness industry, one of our tasks is to teach “our people” that eating healthy is, and should be, delicious. You can whisk this fact around until your beater dies and the fact will not even touch their tastebuds.

The word healthy is stale, overused and underrated. Healthy’s negative connotation has increased with the amount of pesticides put in our produce. Connecting the idea to others that healthy is more delicious, and more satisfying, is a challenge for me. It’s all I have ever known.

I can’t imagine a lifestyle where the focus of my food – my fuel – wasn’t the nutrients that support my body. That is not to say I ignore flavor. For me, they are not two separate entities, but symbiotic for ultimate satisfaction.

Eating healthy is…

IMG 1152

- pesto veggie pizza with a sprouted whole grain crust -

IMG 1155

- bite me -

IMG 1165

- raw kale & Brussels sprouts salad -

IMG 1161

- superfood-stuffed {quinoa / kale / sweet potato} bell peppers -

IMG 1135

- kale / black beans / avocado / feta / raw sunflower seeds -

IMG 1140

- farmer’s market greens / avocado / dried cherries / toasted walnuts / balsamic -

IMG 1142

- organic berry, spinach & chia seed smoothies -

IMG 1145

- hearty steel cut oatmeal with dried apricots, almond butter & flax -

As stated in my philosophy, “eating healthy is a pleasure for me, not a chore.” Food and chore don’t belong in the same sentence.

Effort is another thing. Adding effort to any equation always equals increased energy… and who doesn’t want to be energized!? Yet, somehow, this message has been buried in the landfill of convenience cartons littering Mother Earth and littering our bodies.

So, here I am… a rabbit food-loving girl in a fast food nation, trying to make the world a healthier place one bowl of oatmeal at a time.

What is healthy eating to you?

All photos via Instagram – follow me!

Alicia @ NeverEverBeenSkinny February 18, 2013 at 10:15 pm

All of this food looks so delicious! And what you are saying is so true. Eating should be a pleasure and we don’t take enough time to enjoy it.

Lauren February 18, 2013 at 10:15 pm

You always make healthy eating look so delicious!

Makenzie February 19, 2013 at 7:08 am

Beautiful and inspiring post :)

Anne @ eatcleaneatreal February 19, 2013 at 7:31 am

I love this post! To me, eating healthy is delicious, makes my tummy happy, and is NEVER too expensive in terms of time or money. To me, I’m not “eating healthy”, I’m just “eating.”

Anna February 19, 2013 at 9:29 am

Love this – real food is meant to be enjoyed, preferably surrounded by the people you love!

rebecca @ blueberry smiles February 19, 2013 at 10:49 am

This is such a great post! I have been addicted to pesto lately and the pizza looks terrific. To me, healthy eating is both delicious and nutritious.

Sarah (Shh...Fit Happens) February 19, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Always feel sooo good after eating something healthy, delicious and satisfying!

lisa @ early morning run February 19, 2013 at 4:03 pm

All of this looks so delicious! What all is in the stuffed peppers? I’m looking for a good recipe for this.

Hillary February 19, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Shhh, I totally cheated! I was planning to make the recipe from my weekly meal plan, but then I found a new frozen product at Trader Joe’s called Superfood Pilaf (quinoa, kale, sweet taters and carrots). I grated a bit of pecorino romano cheese on top for flavor.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health February 19, 2013 at 9:17 pm

All of these recipes are great examples of eating healthy to me! I think unprocessed, whole foods that you can get directly from the earth is what defines healthy eating to me. And I think healthy food tastes incredible. I am guilty of giving to convenience occasionally though. :)

Trisha February 23, 2013 at 9:48 am

I love this! I’m a wellness counselor at the student health center where I go to school and I work with clients each week on this same thing. We talk about intuitive eating and giving our body what it wants and needs…not counting calories. I love it when people catch on and recognize how wonderful food can be!