Almond Flour Banana Muffins {with coconut}

I try to sleep in when I can. I really do.

However, my body’s internal alarm clock goes off early, despite my best intentions.

Today, I didn’t argue with the 7:00am wake-up call. I knew I had three very ripe (black!) bananas sitting patiently on my kitchen counter asking for immediate attention.

I slipped on my pair of chocolate brown Uggs, poured myself a glass of iced coffee with almond milk, and pre-heated the oven.

I mashed the over-ripe bananas with a fork, releasing their sweet, rum-like aroma into my quiet cooking space.

I cracked two cage-free eggs, revealing their bright yellow yolks.

I fluffed the almond flour (technically almond meal), accessorizing its nutty flavor with a necessary 1/4 cup of coconut.

Between the caffeine of my bold cup of joe and the aromas of the aforementioned ingredients, it was apparent my appetite was turned on by the grumble in my tummy.

I paused production for an early morning appetizer: half of an (under-ripe) banana with freshly-ground almond butter.

Too much almond butter and banana… there is no such thing.

Assembly resumed.

I admired the consistency of the finished muffin batter in the turquoise bowl. It appeared to have potential.

In the lined muffin tin, I gave the shiny batter a couple of good luck taps, gingerly slid the pan into the oven, and set the clock for a time of twenty.

With five seconds remaining, I stopped the timer in apprehension of disturbing my sleeping roommate.

I opened the oven door with hesitation of a baking disappointment.

I picked the prettiest to poke with my glass bead-decorated cake tester and smiled.

Breakfast was going to be good.

I gave them all of three minutes to cool as I opened the blinds to welcome unexpected sunshine.

I pealed off the paper of muffin number one (of two), and gently broke off a chunk of warm banana goodness, infused with pure maple syrup and homemade vanilla extract.

They were perfect in every way.

As I chewed my last bite, I pondered how I could extend this morning moment.

Bananamuff

DSC01534

Banana2

Bananamuff2

Check out my Recipage for the full recipe.

Enjoy & Happy Sunday!

LIKE THIS POST?

Sign up to receive updates in your inbox.

Comments

1. says

Aaw, what a lovely story, can I come round for brekkie ;)? Love the way you wrote that, made me feel all sunny and happy. And the muffins sound super easy too, yay.

2. says

This resembles my Sunday mornings to a tee :) I can’t sleep in at all, so I cherish the quiet mornings I have to myself while my roommate is still sleeping. This looks so simple and delicious, I’ve been hooked on almond meal lately!

And your pictures are gorgeous! What camera do you use?

3. Elizabeth says

One of my goals for April was to make one new, healthy breakfast, snack, and dinner recipe. I made these muffins to take for a snack at work, and it worked! I stumbled upon your blog last week and have enjoyed the workouts and recipies. Thanks!

4. says

Hi Hillary, we just baked a batch of your almond flour banana muffins, and four are already gone! We are always looking for healthy and delicious muffin recipes. My little 3 1/2 year olds LOVE muffins. I haven’t baked with just almond flour yet — we use mostly whole wheat pastry flour and white whole wheat flour. I’m so glad I tried these, they are delicious. It has an almost corn muffin consistency. Yummmy. Thank you so much, Hillary, for a delicious and healthy recipe.

5. Eileen says

Wonderful story of a beautiful morning…love it! Am trying the muffins tomorrow…thank you so much!

6. Amanda says

ok i’m going to sound stupid here (it may be my pregnant brain lol), but i can’t see how much almond meal you used?

7. Rebecca says

I’ve made these several times and not only are they healthy, they’re delicious, fluffy and extremely moist. I make them on Sundays and eat them for breakfast all week. Even my picky husband likes them ;) Thanks for this great recipe!

8. ML says

Hi, just made your muffins with craisons and slivered almonds added – just about the best thing ever! Thanks so much!!

9. says

Umm, WOW! I’ve never seen a recipe written so much like a poem before! Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Could you substitute the coconut oil for butter or olive oil?

• Hillary says

I think melted butter or olive oil would work, but coconut oil would be my top preference (for nutritional value and flavor).

• says

Okay, holy moly, they just came out of the oven and while they were still warm I couldn’t resist trying one… SO. GOOD. OMG. They are so moist and delicious! You’d never guess how healthy they were for you! Just, wow, thank you so much for the recipe! It’s a keeper!