Virtual Coffee Date

by Hillary on November 3, 2013

Good morning! I hope you took advantage of the extra hour of sleep and are well rested; I am definitely motivated to make this a productive Sunday… but first, coffee.

I’ve read “virtual coffee date” posts on a few other blogs – namely Eat Live Run - and think they are too cute.

The script of the post is to write as if we were catching up over coffee on a Sunday morning, like two gabby girlfriends.

Go refill your mug with a pour of hot coffee, or spicy tea, and let’s chat…

redcup

If we were having coffee this morning, I’d tell you that I’m feeling more intuitive about my eating lately. I’m pretty good at listening to my body’s needs and requests; so, if it wants pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin chocolate chip cake in the same day, I’ll grant its wish. If it is craving a bowl of Honey Mustard Brussels Sprout Slaw for dinner, and just that, then so be it.

If we were having coffee this morning, I’d tell you that there’s no better feeling than curling up in a cozy papasan chair wearing a new pair of fuzzy sweatpants.

If we were having coffee this morning, I’d tell you that I ran four miles yesterday, slowly and gratefully.

run

If we were having coffee this morning, I’d ask you if running a 10K in December is a sensible idea, or stupid one.

If were were having coffee this morning, I’d tell you that I am planning to survive off of Brussels sprouts and winter squash all season long. So far, so good.

If we were having coffee this morning, I’d ask if you had any long distance relationship advice (how to make it easier being apart from your main squeeze).

If we were having coffee this morning, I’d admit that I’ve already done a wee bit of Christmas shopping. Who knows, maybe I’ll have my Christmas cards addressed by next week!

If we were having coffee this morning, I’d proudly say that I am feeling slightly more carefree… about life. It has taken miles and miles of baby steps to include that word in my vocabulary.

If were were having coffee this morning, I’d encourage you to go for it — do that thing that’s tumbling around in your mind. It will feel darn good.

If we were having coffee this morning, what would you tell me?

Caroline November 3, 2013 at 6:56 am

This post makes me happy : ) It seems like you’re in a really good place right now! Long distance suuuucks, I’ve definitely been there. My only advice is to make visiting each other a priority, always have the next visit planned before the current visit ends (makes saying goodbye easier), and little surprises from afar help.

C. November 3, 2013 at 7:50 am

Very sweet! If we were having coffee this morning, I’d tell you I saw Wicked last night, and it was amazing. I went out for dinner before the show and ate very rich food, so today is a very healthy vegetable-heavy eating day :) Have a wonderful Sunday!

Hillary November 3, 2013 at 8:22 am

I’ve seen Wicked – such a great show!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) November 3, 2013 at 8:18 am

I would say go for the 10K in December! :)
Unfortunately, I do not have any advice on long distance relationships. How far away is your man? Try to keep communication open as much as possible.

Lauren November 3, 2013 at 8:44 am

I would tell you if nothing hurts, go for the 10K. If it comes close to the race and something starts hurting, give someone else your race bib and volunteer instead :D

Hillary November 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Nice idea :)

Ang @ Nutty for Life November 3, 2013 at 8:49 am

I would respond by saying that if you are really feeling the 10K, then go for it. The only one who can really make that decision is you. I would tell you that I really love grocery shopping early on Sunday mornings instead of feeling hungover.

Hillary November 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Lol! I can’t agree with you more. Off to Trader Joe’s now…

Heather Murphy November 3, 2013 at 9:02 am

Long distance relationships can definitely be hard, but I think the best thing to do is enjoy the time you are NOT spending together – make sure to still go out and have fun when they aren’t around. It takes your mind off how much you miss them, and it’s just healthy to spend time having fun with friends, family, and yourself!

Hillary November 3, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Great reminder – thanks, Heather!

Sabrina November 3, 2013 at 9:04 am

I love your blog, and I so look forward to seeing what’s on yo mind sista! Go for it and do the 10K in December. It’ ll be cold, but something fun to do; besides, you’ll get a great workout in.

If I were having coffee with you, I would tell you my eating has been horrible, and I’ve got to get a grip of it fast!

If I were having coffee with you this morning, I would tell you today is the first day back at doing my morning workouts – 30 minutes of Body Blast or 30 minutes of Shaun T – T25. I fell totally off the wagon with my morning workout, but I continued to instruct my Zumba classes every evening once I got off work. That quick, morning workout just does something for the body. It’s a new day!

If we were having coffee, I would tell ya long distant relationships can work and do work. I haven’t done that in ages! It will test your love. I suggest checking in every other day, and every day or two, have that long conversation. Let Skype be your best friend! Sacrifice other things to save up on the visits for every few months. It’s workable…how much do you love each other?

If we were having coffee this morning, I would ask if we could share those pumpkin pancakes!

Em November 3, 2013 at 9:08 am

I am doing a 10K in two weeks after pretty much no runs over 5K since my first ever 10K in May! I am also going back to exercise tomorrow for the first time after a week off with injury, so you know I’m in the just do it and see how you feel camp!

I did my first 10K in May and my only goal was to complete it – hopefully running all of it – and I made it to just over 7K before I had to walk for a little bit due to a really bad stitch and leg cramps, but do you know what… after a few minutes of walking, I carried on and I did it!

You can do it girl, go for it!

Hillary November 3, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Good luck with 10K #2!

Elise Caira November 3, 2013 at 9:32 am

This is such a cute idea. Love the post this morning! :)

And I don’t have great advice for the long distance relationship, but I’ll leave you with one of my favorite quotes when I was having trouble dealing with mine a few years ago…

“Distance is to love like wind is to fire…it extinguishes the small and kindles the great!”

sue @ tea, love, and cookies November 3, 2013 at 9:54 am

I say go for the 10K. I just signed up for a December 5K this morning… I’m a walker, not a runner, but I thought it sounded like fun. And I live in Buffalo, so who knows what the weather might be doing!

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles November 3, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Wow, the trees are absolutely gorgeous in that picture! I just love fall.

Brittany November 3, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I know this isn’t in this post, but congrats on starting IIN this winter! Your red cup has me craving a warm fall drink and I may have to go make myself one soon. :)

Long distance is hard, and honestly for me, it never gets easier. I have been living just over 7 hours away from my main squeeze for almost a year now (we’ve been dating 5 years). Skype/FaceTime is my life-saver, I think it helps so much to not only get to talk, but to see him most days of the week and catch up on day to day things. For me, keeping him updated and getting to hear about the little details make the distance seem smaller. I also agree with above about planning your next time to see each other. It’s always harder for me when it’s going to be over 4 weeks (or an unknown time) ’til I see him next, but at least knowing a date or expected amount of time we get to be together helps a lot. The longest we’ve gone is 6 weeks apart and we both decided that was too long, so having a [loose] agreement on how long you’re willing to go between seeing each other and splitting travel can also make it better.

Hope those help! Have a great Sunday :)

Hillary November 3, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Thank you, Brittany… and thank the technology gods for FaceTime!

Karla @ Finding My Fit November 3, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I love these virtual coffee dates floating around the blogosphere! I can relate to the long distance…but not much good advice apart from enjoy your time together, and find the ‘little things’ that make everything that much better. Ty and I are both in the Army, so it’s never easy to deal with. But it gets better!

Amanda November 3, 2013 at 3:02 pm

If we were having coffee this morning, I would say that you are such a great friend. The run in December sounds challenging yet fun, and depending on how your body is feeling now, I would say go for it.

I just moved home after 5 years of school (4 of those years spent in a long distance relationship) and now I see my boyfriend a lot more. My advice would be to enjoy your time apart and together, and check in via phone at least once a day. Planning a nice date night when you do see each other is fun, too (and think about the light at the end of the tunnel when you do get to be together!).

Also, please keep everyone updated about your schooling…I have been thinking about doing the same program (I am already a RD, but I think the IIN program sounds great!), and looked into it today because of you!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health November 3, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I would listen to my body if it wanted pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin cake in the same day, too. Always a good decision. ;)

I don’t think signing up for a 10K is stupid, but I don’t know what it feels like to be in your shoes. If you are on your way to healing and running longer distances makes your knee hurt then I probably wouldn’t push it, but that’s just me.

As far as the long distance relationships – Brandon and I did it for almost a year and it was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. Given, we lived together prior to that so we were already very attached. I definitely didn’t handle it as well as I could have. I actually read a post recently with tips for long distance relationships and I couldn’t have said it better myself. If you want to check it out: http://snacktherapy.com/2013/10/21/on-long-distance-relationships-and-how-much-they-suck/

Hillary November 3, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Thank you, Sarah. Your comments always make me happy — they’re so sweet. Hope us NorCal bloggers can unite in person one day :)

Elizabeth November 4, 2013 at 1:13 am

If we were having coffee, I would say that I’m so glad you carved some time out of your day to spend it with me!

Long distance relationships are tough. tough. TOUGH. I’ve never been in a romantic one, but my best friend/keeps me sane/can’t live without her/sister moved away for college and it has been insane. The biggest thing that has helped us stay close is writing letters. Not something that works for everyone, but in a day and age that is over-run with technological ways to communicate, taking the time to write a letter adds some special significance both to the sender and the receiver!

kristina November 5, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I don’t think you can really make the distance any easier to bear. My now husband and I were long distance during our ENTIRE dating relationship and most of our engagement. It was never easy. EVER. haha. But we survived and it is/was oh-so worth it!

I will say that finding things I loved to do (like run, read, etc.) and living with family helped keep me sane. I also traveled to see him as often as possible. Not cheap, but again, oh-so worth it. Good luck!

Emily November 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Brussels sprouts twins for life!? That honey mustard BS slaw sounds so good! Have you tried it!? I love roasting mine with black pepper, sea salt, and a little fresh rosemary thrown in for good measure :) Simple, but satisfying. And congrats on IIN!! So exciting. I start a nutrition program in January, too!

Hillary November 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Yes, I made the recipe last weekend. It’s good, but too sweet for me. I would use 1/3 of the honey next time around.

Awesome – which nutrition program?

Emily November 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Masters in Human Nutrition through the University of Bridgeport online. I have a handful of friends though that are either IIN grads, or currently enrolled and loving it! Can’t wait to hear about your adventures through the program over the next year (and beyond)!