Twenty Fourteen | Day 1

by Hillary on January 1, 2014

How was the first day of your new year?

It’s strange having a day off smack dab in the middle of the week. It totally felt like a Saturday, didn’t it? But hey, I’m not complaining about paid holidays.

I figured I might as well take advantage of my free day to “reset and prep” for a healthy, brand spankin’ new year.

Here’s a peak at Day 1 of 2014.

sunrise

Sleep in? No, I’d rather see the sunrise.

chia

After a cup of hot lemon water, enter creamy whipped banana steel cut oatmeal with chia, coconut, dried cherries, and almond butter. Would you like some oatmeal with your chia seeds? ;)

run

I’m hoping this year is a “running year” for me. So far, so good. I have felt a lot of progress with my knee lately, but I am still battling discomfort under the knee cap. I bought a patella support strap and today’s first test run with it was alright, but not 100% pain-free. Crossing my fingers I find a full recovery in 2014.

Have you used a patella support strap?

kombucha

Fridge stocked with kombucha to start the year with a happy tummy/healthy GI. Sipped on the multi-green today — not my favorite. Gingerade is my go-to.

kale

Detox kale salad for lunch (+ 1 hard boiled egg). I had planned to make this salad, but of course Trader Joe’s is closed today and I didn’t want to run all over town in search of Brussels sprouts. ALL the kale is fine by me.

snack

bars

Snack prep for a healthy week: Chewy Cherry Granola Bars (subbed chia seeds for the sesame). YUM!

polish

A fresh coat a polish for the remainder of the week. Mademoiselle by Essie is my favorite everyday color.

There ya have it… minus the car washing, bathroom cleaning, laundering, and piece of quinoa dark chocolate.

Hope your year is off to a great start! G’night.

How did you ring in the new year last night/today?

Do you have New Year’s Day traditions?

Ashley @ Power, Love, and Self-Discipline January 1, 2014 at 7:33 pm

That salad looks delicious! Sounds like a great, healthy start to the new year!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) January 1, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I like the gingerade one, but I don’t like the smell of it!

Sounds like you had a very busy day off!

Brittany January 1, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Sounds like a great day! I think I’m going to have to try those granola bars soon. Also, how do you make your whipped steel cut oats? I make oatmeal at times, but it doesn’t turn out nearly as creamy or delectable looking as yours…

Hillary January 1, 2014 at 8:20 pm

This is an old version of my go-to “whipped” banana oatmeal >> http://www.nutritionnutontherun.com/2010/12/30/chia-cherry-oatmeal/

I now add a little unsweetened almond milk to make it creamier… look for an updated recipe this month :)

Marianne January 1, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I just recently discovered Kombucha. I wish it wasn’t so expensive, because it is great!

I’m battling with a running injury, too. I know 2014 will hold recovery for both of us. Hang in there!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome January 1, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Wow, you had a very productive first day of the year! We hosted a party last night, so spent the day cleaning up and putting away Christmas decorations. All the clean up was worth it though!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 1, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Plenty of healthy eats, running, and a perdy manicure. I’d say that’s an excellent start to the new year!

It felt like a Sunday to me all day. But I’m like you, no complaints for an extra day off!

Happy New Year!!

Julie January 1, 2014 at 10:32 pm

New Year’s Eve was great. The only tradition I have is sleeping in and relaxing. Good way to start 2014. I need more kombucha, too!

Caroline January 2, 2014 at 5:10 am

Happy New Year! I don’t have any new year traditions, but I was really productive yesterday cleaning, cooking, and doing laundry.

Cori @ olivetorun January 2, 2014 at 7:08 am

This was the fourth new year’s my husband and I have been together, and the fourth one where at least one of us was sick. We stayed in, watched movies in our sweats, and I made homemade soup :)

Hillary January 2, 2014 at 9:16 am

Here’s to a healthy 2014!

Andrea @ PencilsandPancakes January 2, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Haven’t tried the green kombucha. From that brand, I’ve had the trilogy rainbow colored one, the raspberry chia (tasted good but the texture was bizarre), and I just drank a cranberry yesterday. Love them!

Hillary January 2, 2014 at 2:03 pm

My boy likes the cranberry, too. I love the hibiscus and lavender.

Ashley January 2, 2014 at 8:53 pm

That is a great way to start of 2014! Will you please be my personal cook and nutritionist?! I love what you made–so healthy and hearty. May have to steal a few of these recipes. :)

Jennifer January 3, 2014 at 10:15 am

I love that you wake up early to catch the sunrise. This time off has me reeling with the early morning wake up. Each morning I set the alarm earlier. Soon I will be back at my 5:30 am wake times.

Those bars look delicious!

Molly @MollysMusingz January 6, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Your prep is super impressive! Going to take my shot at those bars. How are they protein wise?

Hillary January 6, 2014 at 5:06 pm

The bars are packed full of protein-rich nuts :)

Marzena January 7, 2014 at 12:52 am

I developed knee pain while training for a half marathon a year ago and stupid me decided to run still but to wear a patella stabilizer (1st time). A mile into the run, I took it off and ran the rest in pain. Since then, I have been to a sports medicine clinic and I have tilted knee caps, but the more tilted one wasn’t the one that hurt, ironically. Anyway, after some testing of my balance, I was told that I pronate my foot, too, and wearing orthotics and strengthening my hamstrings/gluteals more instead of my quads would help with my knee pain (something about the tendons on the lateral aspect of my knee). 2 months later, I still have no knee pain and I am able to get back into running.

Good luck with figuring out your knee pain, and I love your blog, btw :)

Hillary January 7, 2014 at 9:12 am

Thanks for commenting, Marzena. I also pronate and am quad dominate; definitely not a good thing for knee health and durability. I’ve been wearing stability running shoes along with orthotics. What I need to work on most is my hamstring flexibility. Glad to hear you’re pain-free :)