Fueling Our Fitness {Weekly Workouts}

by Hillary on February 16, 2014

If I can keep my eyes open until I finish writing this post, that will be a miracle. My valentine and I spent the weekend doing what we love most: being active and eating good-for-you, satisfyingly scrumptious food.

With two consecutive rest days during the week, my body was prepped for a fun, fitness-packed weekend: 8 miles of outdoor running plus a two hour gym date now has me horizontal on the couch. Seriously, where’s the Advil?

Along with the exercise, P and I also enjoyed many tasty eats, including >>

take-out wood fired pizza on Friday night; Talenti (hazelnut!) gelato; creamy banana raspberry oatmeal with hemp hearts; Saturday runs to the farmers’ market and Costco (organic blueberries are restocked!); wild salmon and roasted veggies; Moscow Mules; Paleo almond meal waffles; kale smoothies; and grilled turkey (yes, turkey!) pesto sandwiches. #eatALLthefood

1794820_708508039180458_1461022971_n

Workouts | Week of February 10

Monday15-minute CrossFit-Inspired Workout (6 rounds) + 10-Minute Arm Workout + 10-Minute Core & Mobility Workout

burpee’d out! last 2 rounds of burpees sans push-up

TuesdayBooty Burner Tabata Dumbbell Workout + 3 bodyweight tabatas + Love Your Body with Yoga (TIU routine)

Wednesday1,000 Rep Workout (3 sets only) + Love Your Body with Yoga (TIU routine)

sore body; needed a rest/easy day

ThursdayRest Day

FridayRest Day

I often beat myself for taking rest days, even when I know better. Here’s a great reminder for those that do the same >> Improve Your Workout Regimen with a Rest Day

Saturday – 2 mile run + the ultimate Dirty 30 workout at the WREC

30 reps each >>

• bicep curls @ 15lb. dumbbells
  • bench press @ 20lb. dumbbells
  • push-ups
  • kettlebell swings @ 35lb.
  • lunges @ 20lb.
  • back squats @ 35lb.
  • squat cleans (15 @ 45lb. // 15 @ 55lb.)
  • toes to bar
  • box jumps
  • atomic push-ups
  • russian twists @ 15lb.
  • Turkish get-ups @ 18lb.

P and I “snuck in” to our old stomping ground – where we met – for the ultimate partner workout. It didn’t seem all too tough at the moment, as it wasn’t a fast paced gym date; but, today, my upper body feels like it was run over by a semi truck.

wrec

salmon

post-workout homemade meal for two >> wild salmon with creamy avocado sauce // roasted balsamic Brussels and butternut with chèvre & pepitas

Sunday – 6 mile run

I can not remember the last time I ran six miles! So excited about this. P rode next to me on the bike (as well as for the 2 windy miles on Saturday). It was a beautiful, cloudless, sunny Sunday. So much for that forecasted rain.

My body could really use the Love Your Body with Yoga flow now!

waffle

Paleo-friendly almond meal waffles

1959685_708505625847366_1941409791_n

SIX miles & sunshine!

p

P in his new Heart Day Ray Bans <3

1800342_708505702514025_1569192817_n

post-run kale smoothies

How many rest days do you typically take per week?

What’s your favorite post-workout snack/meal?

Do you exercise with your significant other?

Miranda @ Loving Every Mile February 16, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I love your attitude towards rest days. I beat myself up over taking an extra rest day, but when I actually sit down & think about it, I realize that it’s good for me to listen to my body! Also, that waffle looks amazing ;)

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves February 16, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Looks like some awesome workouts and eats! The ultimate dirty 30 looks killer! I also really want to try making an avocado sauce like that for my salmon.

Brie February 16, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I usually take one rest day a week and another day is just yoga, so that’s an active rest day for me. My favorite post-workout meal is a smoothie!!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health February 16, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Mmm…hazelnut gelato…

Today was beautiful here, too. A perfect day for a run!
And I love that exhausted feeling you get after a few good workouts. It feels so rewarding when you finally get to relax!

Chelses @ Delipsch February 17, 2014 at 2:55 am

Thanks for the great workouts! I will definitely be adding some of these into the mix this week! Thanks again!

Lee February 17, 2014 at 5:36 am

I need to do more stuff with kettlebells…such a great heart thumper! Thanks for linking to my WOD :D

Megan @ The Skinny-Life February 17, 2014 at 5:51 am

Looks like you had great workouts! I envy your ability to take rest days. That is something I struggle with. I feel anxious when I don’t do some type of activity. I try to mix my routines so that I follow a high intensity workout day with a low intensity & weight training day. That way I’m still active, yet not doing high intensity workouts daily.

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate February 18, 2014 at 5:10 am

I saw your Turkish get-ups on IG and you looked awesome! I cannot do those for the life of me. I usually take 1-2 rest days, but always listen to my body! And Scott and I signed up for 2 months unlimited bootcamp classes at our gym and I love going and working out with him!

Caroline February 18, 2014 at 6:41 am

Sounds like such a great weekend! I love that you guys can be active together, especially at the WREC! ;)

Jennifer February 18, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Thanks for sharing these workouts! I’m always looking for something new to add!

xo Jennifer

Caroline February 19, 2014 at 6:29 am

Congrats on the 6 miler! The weather looked beautiful for y’all!
I would like to hear more about your choice to eat turkey! I am curious if this means you’ll be incorporating more poultry or meat into your diet. Did you feel your diet needed more lean protein? As a vegetarian and marathoner, I’m curious! Thanks!

Hillary February 19, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I’m not sure what it means exactly… I’ve just been listening to my body/eating intuitively, and it has been asking for very small amounts of chicken (free-range/hormone-free/organic) or turkey on occasion.

Kira - The Healthable Old Soul February 22, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Post-run kale smoothie is the way to go!

Hillary February 24, 2014 at 8:08 am