12 Fresh Fruit Pies & Tarts

by Hillary on February 28, 2014

Happy Friday! I can hardly believe it’s the last day of February. I know it is a short month, but, man, did it fly by!

It would be an understatement if I didn’t say I was ecstatic for March’s arrival because in two weeks, I’ll be headed off to Kauai! It’s also happens to be Pi Pie Day.

pie

source

Pi Day falls on March 14th; it is an odd celebration of the symbol used in mathematics, Pi. Who really cares about the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter!? Really now, pie is much more celebration worthy!

I’ll be honest — pie is not my top dessert, but I certainly think it has its time and place.

During my adolescent days – when my interest in the culinary arts began to foster – I can fondly remember baking with my mom and getting frustrated with any and every dang pie crust. Sure, I could throw the flour, cold butter, and egg into the food processor, but rolling it out was another story. Luckily, my mom’s hands were made for pie making, and she always came to the rescue.

pie1

That scowl is proof that I disguised high-maintenance pie crusts. #awkwardadolescence

pie2

pie3

If I wasn’t throwing my swimwear and sunscreen into my suitcase, I would be celebrating Pie Day with a slice of Apricot, Sweet Cherry, and Plum Vanilla Spiced Pie… or better yet, I should just sneak a couple of Blueberry, Basil & Goat Cheese Hand Pies into my carry on.

I will not be in the kitchen with my mama on March 14th, rolling out buttery crusts and slicing stone fruit; but, I did use Foodie.com to collect a dozen fruit-focused pie and tart recipes to inspire me to practice my pie making skills this spring.

If you plan to celebrate Pie Day, stop by Foodie to peruse a plethora of pie recipes – enjoy!

Do you prefer pies or tarts?

Favorite pie?

Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Foodie.com. As always, opinions are my own.

Kari February 28, 2014 at 6:06 am

What will you be doing in Kauai!? I was just in Hawaii a month ago and nonstop fun… I don’t think I ever changed from my swimsuit and boardshorts! :)

Hillary February 28, 2014 at 8:23 am

Vacation! Which island were you on?

Kari February 28, 2014 at 11:09 am

The North Shore of Oahu! It was a surf trip, and North Shore is a truly magical place…well all of Hawaii is! Words can’t describe what a great time you’ll have…I’ve been told to go back to both the North Shore and to Kauai for more outdoorsy fun!

Chicago Jogger February 28, 2014 at 6:30 am

Yum – my favorite pie is cherry, any day :)

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat February 28, 2014 at 6:36 am

Kauai!? I’m so jealous! I could definitely use some sun and sand after this crazy winter we’re having. More snow is coming on Monday. Boo!

I’m loving all these pies! Cherry pie and apple are two of my favorites!

Elizabeth {Positively Healthy} February 28, 2014 at 7:02 am

Yummy! I love pumpkin pie so much!! :)

Megan @ The Skinny-Life February 28, 2014 at 10:52 am

I must admit – I’m not a pie person. I only eat it on Thanksgiving which is probably why my favorite is pumpkin. Kauai? That sounds amazing! I live where it’s warm & even I could use a beach vacation. Hope you have a great time!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal February 28, 2014 at 4:55 pm

OMG the pic of that pie in the beginning… holy WOW!

jenn @ runnderlust February 28, 2014 at 6:12 pm

oh my goodness, this all looks delicious. depends on my mood, but apple is always a classic!

Sarah @ Courage To Run March 1, 2014 at 5:38 am

I’m definitately a pie person. I’m so glad I now have good reason to bake… pi day! That is silly, isn’t it? Your idea to turn it into pie day rocks! I’m thinking blueberries in my future… :)