The Fitness Comparison Trap {Weekly Workouts x 2}

by Hillary on July 1, 2014

Once again, I have a double dose of Weekly Workouts for you today.

You’ll immediately notice all the Resting. As a fitness fanatic/former gym rat/lover of exercise, it’s taken me a long time to accept Rest Days. Not gonna lie, I still have a hard time with it on occasion, but there is so much power in a rest day… or four for that matter ;)

It took my body a long while (6+ weeks) to recover from Bronchitis, so naps after work in lieu of a kettlebell workout happened… and sleeping for 11 hours solid this weekend happened.

I read fitness blogs daily for inspiration; but, if you’re an avid blogger/reader yourself, you know that quest for inspiration can easily be twisted into comparing yourself to other’s week of workouts. “She ran 32 miles; she did 4 CrossFit workouts, and she sweated out 3 hot yoga classes.” As I am reading others’ fitness accomplishments, I can’t help but notice the skin under my running shorts turn green with envy.

If you find yourself in the same comparison trap, be mindful of it. STOP. Acknowledge and appreciate what you did for your body, for yourself, today and this week. I may have rested just as much as I moved the past couple of weeks, but it is what my body requested. It does not make me any less of a fit chick or athlete than the next blogger/runner/CrossFitter/yogi.

comparison

source

Workouts | Week of June 16

Monday – 25 Minute Birthday AMRAP + 30 min. walk

Tuesday – 50 min. slow run

Wednesday – Rest/45 min. walk

Thursday My Birthday – Rest

Friday – Rest

Saturday – Rest

Sunday – Dumbbell Superset Workout (@ 15lb.) + 25 min. walk

Workouts | Week of June 23

Monday – Rest

Tuesday – 40 min. walk

Wednesday – 400 Reps for Time (@ 15lb.)

Thursday – 5 mile run

Friday – Birthday AMRAP Workout (3 rounds @ 15lb.)

Saturday – 2.5 mile run + 5-Minute One-Dumbbell Workout (@ 15lb.)

Sunday – Dorm Room Dumbbell Workout (@ 15lb.) + 25 min. walk

I finally bought myself a heavier pair of dumbbells, so I’ve let my trusty ten pounders take a breather as I challenge myself with fifteens.

dumbbells

Do you find yourself in the fitness comparison trap?

How do you get out of it?

Emma @ Life's A Runner July 1, 2014 at 5:35 am

I used to struggle with comparisons a LOT while running – “So and so is running 30 miles per week so I am not even a real runner.” Once I started getting into lifting weights, though, I realized that if it makes ME feel great, the numbers/comparisons are totally irrelevant. After all, it’s kind of hard (and not exactly appealing) for me to compare myself to a bodybuilder!

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner July 1, 2014 at 6:49 am

I used to struggle with this, too. I’ve found that just having confidence in myself helps along with being proud of where I’m at in my fitness journey rather than comparing myself to where others are at. It works!

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee July 1, 2014 at 9:04 am

This is such an important topic. I think it really comes down to focusing on yourself – just as you said.

Carla July 1, 2014 at 11:00 am

I do that all the time! I try to focus on small improvements in myself, but that doesn’t always work. Sometimes it’s best to take a step back and look at how much I’ve accomplished.

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite July 1, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Oh the lovely comparison trap. It’s so easy to fall into it in pretty much every aspect of life. I think as long as you recognize it’s happening, stop and remove yourself from it it can help so much. Oh and remembering why you’re doing what you’re doing for yourself! All that really matters is how good you feel – whether that’s running 32 miles a week or yoga a few days a week.

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake July 1, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I got myself out of that way of thinking as soon as I noticed it. I know for a fact that what I choose to do is for me and my body and I need not compare. It’s so easy to let our minds wander into that trap!

Great post!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine July 1, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Your workout week just made me feel so much better about not being able to workout for 3 days due to my college orientation. There was no time and I was so tired no sleep and so under-fed! Thank you!

jill conyers July 2, 2014 at 7:20 am

Not as often as I have in the past, but when I do, it’s usually comparing myself to incredibly fast runners.

Michele @ paleorunningmomma July 2, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I can totally relate, it’s way too easy to fall into that trap, especially in the blog world which I’m pretty new to. I think like you said, self awareness is key and realizing that you’re making the comparisons can help refocus. Easier said than done of course!