Life Without the Scale

by Hillary on July 22, 2014

<< Don’t miss the Swanson Health Products $45 Giveaway! >>

Earlier this summer, I shared my biggest accomplishment for the month of May: ditching the scale! Since May 1st (actually a few days prior), I have only stepped on the scale two times: once at a doctor’s appointment and once at home.

If you’re an observant Nutrition Nut reader, you know I have battled with the bathroom scale for years; I’ve shared my struggles publicly more than once on this blog.

>> Why I Hate the Scale

>> Break Up with the Scale Tips

Now that it has been over 2 1/2 months since I broke off my unhealthy relationship, I thought I would follow-up on my journey. I assume that at least one of you reading this post has or have struggled with seeing that number on the scale; I hope this can provide comfort in that you are certainly not alone, and inspiration to stick that damn tool under your bed, as I did.

Hillary-Parker-64

As a scale abuser for many years, it is rather strange to think that I don’t know how many pounds I weigh in this current moment, nor do I know what it read yesterday, or last Tuesday for the matter. If I am being completely vulnerable here, I used to keep a journal of my weight and compare it week-to-week, month-to-month.

The part that struck me the most was when I would hypocritically encourage my peers to ditch the scale for the sake of their own good and peace of mind, yet I could not do said action myself. So, “out of sight, out of mind,” was the tactic I tried. I stuck the darn P.O.S. under my bed, and there is still resides amongst picture frames and old school notebooks, collecting dust.

Last week, when chatting with my IIN Peer Coach, I heard myself say that I was ready to get it (the scale) out of my house. A bold statement from a former weigh-in addict.

The drug I took, stark naked, nearly every morning (and often post-workout) was no longer needed.

For the past 10+ weeks, the first thought upon waking isn’t one of anxiety in anticipation of using the scale to measure the worth of my day.

While I am proud and confident that the scale will remain an abusive partner of the past, all negative self-talk has not vanished.

As I have also discussed here in this space, it’s easier than reciting the ABCs to fall into the comparison trap, especially as a member of the fitness blog community.

Here I am: miles ahead of where I was, yet still miles away from where I would like to stand with the relationship I have with myself: one of pride, love, and forgiveness.

What steps have you made to improve your self-talk?

What or who has inspired you in your own journey?

Worth a second shout-out >> Why You Should Throw Away Your Scale

Anne @fANNEtasticfood July 22, 2014 at 6:40 am

I’m so proud of you for ditching the scale and focusing on improving your relationship with your body. Good for you! I think running and yoga have helped me a lot with positive self talk and being more kind to myself. It’s so important. I always tell my clients to think about what they would say to their best friend in the same situation. It’s always much kinder than what they would say to themselves! Ditching the scale certainly helps, too, so that you can focus on how you feel vs. an arbitrary number.

Kim July 22, 2014 at 6:54 am

I SO need to do that!!

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee July 22, 2014 at 7:26 am

Oh your last line of this post is so beautiful! Your progress is amazing and inspirational. I have also broken up with my scale (for about 6 months) but I am still with ya on the negative self talk. My new motto is “consistency, not perfection.”

Brittany July 22, 2014 at 7:50 am

I do not weight my self regularly, but my “weight”, whatever it is, often weighs heavily on my mind (no pun intended :) ). From doctors visits, etc. I often have an idea of about what I weigh and with so so many “health websites” pushing to get your pounds down it’s hard not to think about it. Thank you for a thoughtful and beautiful post to help me push more towards self-love and kindness to my body.

whitney July 22, 2014 at 8:04 am

i fully support this post!!! it’s so hard to break up with the scale but so freeing. happy for you!

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner July 22, 2014 at 8:32 am

I’m so proud of you. I really should ditch it, but I don’t know where to start. I’m going to start reading up on your later posts a little more. Thanks for this. You’re an inspiration.

Emily July 22, 2014 at 9:39 am

Congrats on doing this!! I’m definitely still in an on-again off-again relationship with my scale, but maybe today’s the day to at LEAST get my husband to hide it from me somewhere (perhaps the dumpster?)! Ha! I’ve been working on improving my self-talk by doing something called “loving kindness” meditation. It sounds really hippy dippy :), but it’s been a great way to help me build compassion not only for other people, but for myself. It takes me about 5 mins. a day! Definitely look it up if you’re interested!

Hillary July 22, 2014 at 9:59 am

Today IS the day!

I will look that up – thanks!

Lacey (@thislittlechickpea) July 22, 2014 at 10:07 am

Encouraging post Hillary! Thank you for being vulnerable as it is an inspiration to many of us! <3

Blessings.

Lauren July 22, 2014 at 11:37 am

I did the same thing as you for a while…cared about my weight/size while telling others to love their body & ditch the scale. It’s so freeing to not know…you should be so proud of yourself! For self-talk, I find a nightly gratitude journal (just 3 things I’m grateful for) and using affirmations help me!

Ashleigh July 22, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Love this post! I still have a scale out and visible, and sometimes I think, I wonder how much I weigh? But I know I would rather not know the number, because if it’s not what I expect (or lower), then I feel upset and angry with myself. I try to rely on how my body feels on a day to day basis rather than what that number might indicate to me. I’ll have to go back and read your other posts related to this topic now too!

Carol July 23, 2014 at 11:44 am

Great post! I was a daily weigher, too, but gave it up probably 2-3 months ago. There comes a time when you just have to trust yourself and realize that you are worth more than a number. Also that your clothes are not magically going to be too snug, they will fit :)

By the way, you are way too pretty of a person to have such negative thoughts weigh you down! Your pics on your site are all very flattering :) Enjoy your day!

Hillary July 23, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Thanks, Carol :)

Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness July 23, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Hey my IIN peer coach —

I love this post and your honesty!

Since I’m going through scale detachment at the same time as you, I can totally relate to the freedom you feel once you ditch the scale. It’s no longer all about a number, and it feels damn good to take power over the scale trap!

Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead July 23, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I really like this post. I’m too addicted to my scale. Your journey is inspiring; thanks for posting about it.

Alex @ DelishKnowledge July 27, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Love this! And – let’s chat! After doing my series on “Happy Weight” I would love to feature fellow bloggers on their “happy weight” journey :) Let me know if you are interested!

So happy that you ditched the scale! It’s scary at first, but then so freeing!

Hillary July 27, 2014 at 10:02 pm