Do you ever have a hankering for a huge jass kale salad? Raw, earthy, nutty, large and in charge? Just kidding, but seriously — I do get cravings for kale… just as I do dark chocolate. One of my favorite downtown restaurants has a killer kale salad on their menu. This restaurant is one of my top places for happy hour with girlfriends, or date night with P.
So, naturally, while I am sippin’ a Moscow Mule or minty mojito, you’ll find me crunching on kale, too. I created my own version of my go-to date night salad so I can enjoy it at home… especially when I want to “detox” from a cocktail or two.
This salad has some serious staying power: loaded with fiber (hello raw kale!), phytonutrients, healthy fats (almonds, avocado, and olive oil), and plant-protein (quinoa and almonds). Detox does not necessarily mean “light” with this beast. The original salad is topped with creamy goat cheese (mmm!), but I nixed it for the sake of making it vegan and gluten-free.
Whether you want to “detox” from an evening of cocktails, or you simply enjoy hefty kale salads that will turn you green in the face – as I do – then this simple recipe is for you.
- 4 cups dino (Lactino) kale, finely sliced
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
- ½ cup seedless cucumber, chopped
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced and quartered
- 2-3 Tbsp. dry roasted almonds, chopped
- ~4 Tbsp. Lemon Avocado Dressing
- Lemon Avocado Dressing (makes approx. 1 cup)
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water + more if desired
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 garlic glove
- 1 Meyer lemon, juiced
- salt to taste
- Simmer quinoa on low for 15 minutes, 2 parts water : 1 part quinoa. Fluff with a fork, and then let cool completely.
- Finely slice - washed and dried - dino (Lactino) kale.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine kale, quinoa, cucumber and radish. Mix gently.
- Add enough dressing to coat lightly, approximately 4 tablespoons (add more if desired).
- Divide salad into two serving bowls; top with chopped almonds.
- Dressing: Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor; puree until smooth and creamy. Add more water for preferred consistency. Store in the fridge.