Apricot Oat Bars
Every so often, my mom asks me to make these for her. The combination of chewy apricots, oats and nuts is enticing. Although the bars are most likely meant for dessert or afternoon tea, my mom admits they are hard to resist for breakfast : )
Recipe adapted from Completely Cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped dried apricots
- 1 1/2 cups apricot nectar
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil…lightly butter.
2. In a small pan, over medium heat, cook apricots and apricot nectar for about 30 minutes, or until the nectar is almost completely absorbed. Remove from heat and cool.
3. In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, nuts, and salt. In another large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Stir in vanilla. Gradually add in the oat mixture.
4. Firmly press all but 1 cup of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread surface with the apricot mixture and then sprinkle with reserved oat mixture.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until top is slightly brown.