I am currently training to run my 5th half-marathon on July 16th in Davis, California. I am trying out an individualized SmartCoach plan to train in just four, short weeks. I be following the schedule to the best of my ability and will be recording my progress in the log below. You may click on individual workouts for details via DailyMile.
Week of June 13
- Friday: 3.7 mi. run @ 32 minutes (8:38 pace) + 10 minutes yoga/abs
- Saturday: 8.4 mi. run @ 69 minutes (8:12 pace)
- Sunday: 21 mi. bike ride
Week of June 20
- Tuesday: 50-minute cycle class + 2 mi. TM run (8:20 pace)
- Thursday: 4.5 mi. track workout + 100 lunges, stairs, abs
- Friday: 2 mi. TM run (8:20 pace) + free weights, abs
- Saturday: 9.2 mi. run (8:15 pace)
- Sunday: 33 mi. bike ride @ 2 hr. 41 min.
Notes: Despite taking two rest days, I am feeling strong. I didn’t do all of the SmartCoach workouts on their scheduled days, but I did do them all. I love the variety, from quick and dirty easy runs to long, endurance runs, speed work, and cross-training. So far, I am having a lot of fun. Training will be over before I know it!
Week of June 27
- Monday: 2 mi. TM run (8:20 pace) + 60-minute DanceFit class
- Tuesday: ~2.8 mi. run @ 24 minutes (8:34ish pace)
- Wednesday: 60-minute cycle class + 1.5 mi. ITR + 25-minute strength training
- Thursday: 5 mi. TM tempo run (7:24 pace) + 40-minute yoga class
- Friday: 12-minute TM walk + 12-minute StairMaster + 24-minute strength training
- Saturday: 9.75 mi. run (8:12 pace)
- Sunday: 30-minute cycle + 25-minute strength training (yoga kettlebell workout)
Notes: I feel really good (accomplished & strong) about this week’s training… and the best part, I am enjoying it! It was great to be back workin’ it at the WREC this week. I did all of the scheduled workout, though I haven’t taken a rest day in a while (11 days). I considered it today – as I’m a firm believer it rest days – though because my body is feeling healthy, I went with a bit of moderate cross-training. Getting very excited about the race! :)
Week of July 4
- Monday: ~2.8 mi. run @ 24 minutes (8:34ish pace) + 12-minute strength training
- Tuesday: 5 mi. TM tempo run (7:19 pace) + 60-minute yoga class + 10-minute strength training
- Wednesday: 60-minute cycle class + 1 mi. ITR + 20-minute strength training
- Thursday: 2 mi. TM run (8:20 pace) + 1 mi. TM walk + 15-minute strength training
- Friday: 30-minute cycle + 60-minute yoga class
- Saturday: 84-minute trail run
- Sunday: REST DAY!
Notes: I felt this week of training was nicely balanced – I love the variety of shorter runs, speed/tempo runs, strength training, cycling, and yoga. I felt my long run on Saturday should have been a mile or two longer, so I’m hoping the other training I’ve been doing will get me through the last 5K of the race… endorphins should help, too. Sunday, I took a much much needed rest day after 17 days of consecutive exercise, and now I’m ready to tackle my final five days of training!
Week of July 11
- Monday: ~3.75 mi. run @ 32 minutes (8:32ish pace) + 60-minute cycle class + 30-minute strength training
- Tuesday: 3 mi. run + 60-minute yoga class + 20-minute strength training
- Wednesday: 3 mi. track workout + 60-minute cycle class + 10-minute strength training
- Thursday: 2 mi. run + 10-minute walk + 60-minute yoga class + 10-minute strength training
- Friday: 20-minute cycle + 10-minute walk + 1 mi. ITR
- Saturday: RACE DAY! MOO-nlight Race*: 1:33:15 – Race Recap HERE!
Notes: After 26 dedicated workouts, I felt completely cheated when I learned that the race course was accidently cut short to only 12.2 miles*. As disappointing as it is, I am pleased with how I ran, enjoyed the race, and feel proud of what I did do.
20-24 (female) age group: 5th place/70
overall: 74th place/949