Recipe courtesy of Cafe Beaujolais.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 T baking soda
- 3 1/2 T sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup cornmeal (or cornflour for a smoother texture)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 3 T unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. lemon zest + 1-2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Sift together all dry ingredients. Mix together buttermilk, egg yolks, butter, and lemon with dry ingredients. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, and fold into batter.
Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle, sprinkle about 2 T blueberries on each cake, and cook until bubbles form and start popping on top. Flip with wide spatula and brown the other side. Turn only once and do not press down on them to accelerate the browning process.
Top with your heart’s desire!