I am currently training to run my 4th half-marathon on March 5th in Chico, California. With a solid base from training for three other halfs, I am reducing my usual 12-week training plan to just 8 1/2 weeks. I will be recording my training below from January 5 until Race Day [you may click on individual workouts for details]!
Check out this post to read my specific training plan!
* * *
- January 5:
- January 6: 40-minute run [~4.5 mi., including 3 hill repeats], yoga + planks
- January 7: 60-minute DanceFit [45 min. aerobic dance + abs/arms/stretch]
- January 8: 75-minute run
- January 9:
- January 10: 60-minute DanceFit + 60-minute yoga class
- January 11: 55-minute trail run
Notes: Hah, I’m laughing at myself right now because I only just finished Week 1 and I’m already “off track”. I didn’t even exercise the first day of my training plan, and then took a second rest day Sunday. Looking on the bright side, I had three solid runs and three hours of cr0ss-training, and my knee doesn’t hate me entirely. So far, so good.
- January 12:
- January 13: 36-minute run [including a 3 min. walk]
- January 14:
- January 15:
- January 16: 20-minute cycle [7.0 mi.] + 2 x 1 mi. ITR @ 10 min. + abs, arms & legs
- January 17: 3 hour hike [~8 mi.]
- January 18: 40-minute run + yoga & planks
Notes: Another not-so-impressive week of training – eek. It just occurred to me that I never did a long run! Umm… where is my mind these days!? I certainly have not gotten 100% into my training. I have been feeling pretty “low” about my fitness level lately, so I demand the next six weeks to put the pedal to the metal!
- January 19: 60-minute kettlebell class + 1 mi. ITR + 1 mi. elliptical trainer
- January 20: 40-minute run
- January 21: 20-minute TM run [2.5 mi.] + 20-minute cycle [7.7 mi.] + 1 mi. ITR
- January 22:
- January 23: 75-minute TM run [8.95 mi.] + 15 minutes abs & arms
- January 24: 20-minute cycle [7.6 mi.] + 1 mi. ITR + 20 push-ups/20 tri dips
- January 25: 30-minute TM run [3.7 mi.] + 2 x 1 mi. ITR + 0.5 mi. ITR + abs & arms
Notes: Week 3 is already over – goodness, time is a flying! I actually stayed on schedule this week in terms of my original plan, despite injuring my legs using much too heavy kettlebells. I had a great, therapeutic long run and one rest day, in addition to shorter runs, speed work, and strength training. I think I’m finally getting into the grove again! :)
- January 26: 30-minute cycle [11.5 mi.] + 2 x 1 mi. ITR + abs & arms
- January 27: 20-minute TM run [2.62 mi.] + 1 mi. ITR + 24 burpees + abs & arms
- January 28: 50-minute cycle class + 1 mi. ITR + arms & yoga
- January 29: 20-minute TM run [2.48 mi.] + 64-minute run
- January 30: 30-minute cycle [10+ mi.] + 75-minute yoga class
- January 31: 20-minute cycle [7 mi.] + 20-minute TM run [2.56] + 1.5 mi. ITR
- February 1:
Notes: I clocked in a good amount of mileage this past week, both running and cycling. My legs finally recuperated from the kettlebell trial, and I think they’re getting stronger; if not that, they’re definitely beefier =/ After 9 days straight of exercise, I used Running Tuesday [today] as a much-needed mental health day. I’m hoping to stay well in the last half of my training and kick the speed up a notch!
- February 2: 5 mi. TM tempo run + 60-minute yoga class
- February 3: 60-minute TM run [7.83 mi.] + 0.5 mi. ITR + abs & arms
- February 4: 55-minute cycle class + 60-minute yoga class
- February 5:
- February 6: 40-minute TM run [4.95 mi.] + 50-minute run
- February 7: 30-minute cycle [10.5 mi.] + 10-minute StairMaster + 1 mi. ITR + abs & arms
- February 8:
Notes: This round of training is really flying by. I took two rest days unwilling this week due to illness; though, the rest of my week felt solid and well-rounded. Breaking up my long runs into half indoor/half outdoor has surely made them more enjoyable, as is having a new friend to run with. I’m hoping to continue with the yoga – so far, so fun!
- February 9: 32-minute TM run [4.06 mi.] + 0.5 mi. ITR
- February 10:
- February 11:
- February 12: 40-minute TM run [5.06 mi.] + 40-minute run
- February 13: 60-minute yoga class
- February 14:
- February 15:
Notes: Week 6 of training was terrible, to say it simply. I got hit with the icky cold going around campus and it definitely got in the way of my training. I probably shouldn’t have, but I managed to complete my scheduled long run over the weekend. The fact that I wasn’t able to exercise per my usual amount took a toll on me mentally, as well. I’m hoping to make-up for lost time in my final two weeks; it’s time for some serious business.
- February 16: 2.5 mi. ITR + 60-minute yoga class
- February 17: 5 mi. TM tempo run [~40 min.] + TM walk [~12 min.] + planks & light arms
- February 18: 55-minute cycle class + 60-minute yoga class
- February 19: 60-minute cycle class
- February 20: 37-minute run + 33-minute TM run [4.3 mi.]
- February 21: 55-minute yoga class + 32-minute TM run [4.25 mi.] + 1.75 mi. ITR
- February 22: 48-minute TM run [6 mi] + 1 mi. ITR + strength training – abs, arms & legs
Notes: Yahoo! After nearly two weeks trying to fight the cold going around, I am ecstatic to be back in the game. Clearly, I tried playing “catch-up” with no rest day this week. It was a terrific week with 3 yoga classes, 2 cycle classes, 1 long run, and a total of roughly 30 miles running. I’m getting anxious and excited for Race Day!
- February 23:
- February 24: 30-minute TM run [3.9 mi.] + 30-minute cycle [10.6 mi.] + abs, arms & legs
- February 25: 30-minute TM walk [2.1 mi.] + 2 mi. indoor track walk/run
- February 26: 60-minute TM run [7.37 mi.] + abs & arms
- February 27: 60-minute run + abs
- February 28: 20-minute TM run [2.8 mi.] + 2.5 mi. ITR + 20 burpees + abs/arms/squats
- March 1: 5 mi. TM tempo run [38:40] + 0.5 mi. indoor track sprints + 10-minute StairMaster + abs
Notes: I’m getting excited! Week 8 went well for the most part; there was a lot of running and not so much cross-training. I was bummed my busy school schedule didn’t allow for any yoga classes =/ I definitely have plans to do some quality stretching pre [and post] Race Day. I scared myself Friday when I felt under the weather, but luckily the feeling dissipated and I made up for it with doing my long run x2. I also enjoyed a few speedy treadmill workouts. I gave it all I got. Time to taper!
- March 2: 60-minute yoga class + 20-minute cycle [6.6 mi.] + 10 laps [1.25 mi.] ITR
- March 3: 51-minute run + abs & legs
- March 4: 60-minute yoga class + 1 mi. TM run + 1 mi. ITR
- March 5: RACE DAY! Bidwell Classic Half-Marathon: 1:39:41 – Race Recap HERE!