Running Tuesday: 1 mi. ITR… crash
Tuesday Wednesday: 2 x 1 mi. ITR + 20 min. spin + strength training
I know it’s Waffle Wednesday [hope you celebrated!], but I was too busy getting stitched up in Urgent Care yesterday to get around to write my intended Running Tuesday post. It was a special Running Tuesday post too – more marathon reviewing and details – but that’ll have to wait ‘til later as I have something more pertinent to share…
Caution: icky images.
Black & blue from shoulders to shins.
I still can’t believe it happened… I laugh a little inside every time I replay the image of the incident in my mind; though, it was certainly was not funny [to me] at the time. Believe it or not, I ate sh*t on a treadmill. Pardon my language, but there’s no better way explain it. Yes, the first workout after running my blissful half-marathon up, down, and around the hilly streets of San Francisco, I biff on a treadmill – how does that happen!? Oh, the irony.
Hillary hops onto a treadmill, as she has every other day this semester, to see the computer “error-ing”. She notices that the treadmill to her right is empty, so she hops right off the malfunctioning machine, takes a step [or two?] onto the adjacent treadmill and SMACK! In the blink of an eye, she was face-down on the floor in the middle of the gym [at “rush hour”]. She bolts straight up and straddles the running machine as if she didn’t just flail down a conveyer belt. Spectators ask her if she’s alright. “Fine… yes, fine”, she replies in utter shock. The kind gym-goer a couple machines to her right informs her that her chin is bleeding. Yes, it was. In fact, her second half-marathon tee was now saturated in blood. Thank goodness she had a ‘sweat towel’ handy.
Before getting any more attention, she carefully climbs off the deactivated machine completely embarrassed and walks to the locker room – holding a blood-stained cloth to her face – which couldn’t have possibly been any farther away.
After checking out the damage, she calls her roommate from her phone who was able to quickly rescue her from the hidden corner of the locker room. A couple transitions later and Hillary and her roommate were on their way to Urgent Care.
“Stitches for sure”, the smart-alec of a doc exclaims.
1 shot, a needle, and a bit of blue thread… and she was put back together again.
1. Was it my mistake that I didn’t notice the treadmill was running!?
2. Why on Earth was it running without a runner!? There is NO reason for this. There is paid staff patrolling all areas of the recreation center that are constantly turning off unwatched televisions and keeping an eye on the equipment.
3. No, I was not distracted by my iPod [forgot it!], cell phone [never with me at the gym], or eye candy.
I don’t know who’s to blame here. All I can say is GRRR… and beware of irresponsible gym-goers.
1. I have one heck of a hilarious story to tell the rest of my life.
2. The damage could have been much worse. Thank goodness I still have my two front teeth… and the 3/4 inch-long split is slightly under my chin.
3. I get to look like a badass with a bandage on my face, and I don’t have to worry about a Halloween costume ;)
Very thankful to still able to run on my two feet with a smile. Tomorrow’s Thursday!