My weighted workouts seem to be fewer and farther between lately; but, yesterday, I wanted to pick up my bells and get in a good sweat. I enjoy being creative with my home workouts, but I was lacking motivation and inspiration, so I called on the boy… the boyfriend.
<insert short story>
The boy and I met at my college rec center way back when. The days when I used to run a few too many laps around the indoor track as he was training clients. The days when I put more effort into dressing for the gym than I did for the majority of my day.
This was the boy that taught my first kettlebell class… where I found myself with sore muscles three weeks there after. We had our share of workout dates — slamming sandbags together, looking silly doing spiderman push-ups, bruising ourselves with box jumps, all the while listening to “ghetto” rap music. Studying exercise physiology and working as a personal trainer for four plus years, the boy has taught me a thing or two about exercise.
So… he texted me a workout yesterday afternoon (per my polite request), knowing which equipment I have on hand.
I made a few changes, naturally. (This is typical of our workouts together.) I suppose I should call it the “boyfriend-inspired” workout; nevertheless, it kicked my butt. Good job, P!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 dumbbell — I used 10lb.
- 1 kettlebell — I used 25lb.
- inchworm: stand with your feet hip-width apart; bend over and touch the floor in front of your feet with both hands. keeping your legs straight and core tight, walk your hands forward to a push-up position, without letting your hips drop. pause, then slowly walk your hands towards your feet.
- single-arm high pull
- single-arm swing
- up/down planks: switch arms after the 5th rep
- russian twists: 1 rep = right and left
- workout time: approx. 30-35 minutes
* * *
Those with significant others, do you enjoying exercising together?