Hold up, people. I know it’s September, but you realize it is technically summer, right!? I’m talking triple digit temps around here this weekend.
It seems as though most are jumping the gun and already welcoming all things Fall. For me, it is still too early for pumpkin recipes and I want to hurl at anything and everything Halloween-related. That’s just me though, wishing the long and light summer days weren’t coming to a close.
Rather than resisting the change of the seasons, I’ve come up with a Slurp Up September list to savor summer’s finest and accept autumn’s arrival.
2. Clean out your closet. Make room for a new sweater, scarf, or pair of boots for the cooler weather ahead.
3. Stock your cupboard with spices for the seasons. Then make a batch of Sparkling Ginger Chip Cookies.
5. Freeze farmer’s market fruit for a taste of summer in the final months of the year: i.e. heirloom tomatoes for soup, peppers for stir-fry, and stone fruit and berries for crisps and smoothies.
6. Add cinnamon to your daily grind. Simply add a few dashes to the coffee grounds before brewing.
7. Take your exercise outside. Before the clock falls back, utilize the longer daylight hours to sweat outdoors. Skip the treadmill for a jog around the neighborhood, or go to the park with a friend for a dumbbell date.
8. Feast on fresh figs. Add them to an arugula salad, or to Greek yogurt with pistachios and a drizzle of local honey.
9. Forage the last of summer’s fresh basil. Make a gigantic batch of Green Goddess Summer Pesto and store in small containers in the freezer for easy weeknight dinners.
10. Serve a sizzling stir-fry to family or friends… and please don’t leave out this easy homemade peanut sauce.
Previously >> Eat Up August
* * *
How do you plan to slurp up September?
Are you sad to see summer go, or are you anxious for fall?